Friday, September 21, 2012

New Orleans Style Corn and Crab Bisque


Grant and I in NOLA

Well, school has started, Parker's in PSR, I've started my new job at the winery, and life is crazy.  We've been doing a lot of quick fixes and leftovers, but when I have cooked, I made sure to snap pics of it all.

While Grant was stationed in FL this summer and I went to visit him, and we were lucky enough to spend a night n New Orleans.  While we were there, went out for an amazing dinner in the French Quarters.  We had all the classic NOLA style food, ettoufe, jambalaya, oysters on the half shell, and then crab and corn bisque.  The bisque was delicious!  I told Grant when we got home, I would try and make something similar.

Crab and Corn Bisque
  • 1 tbsp evoo
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 2 ribs celery, chopped
  • 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and diced
  • 1 bay leaf
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
  • 3 tbsp flour
  • 1 cup veggie stock
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 3 cups frozen corn kernels
  • 1 container of crab meat

  •  
    In a stock pot, add the butter an evoo until butter in melted.  Add all the veggies and cook until translucent.  Add the salt, pepper, and Old Bay.  Then add the flour to make a rue.  Pour in both the chicken and veggie stock and cook about 10 mins.  Pour the milk in and stir a few mins.  Add the corn and cook until soft, then add the crab and cook until heated through.
     
    I served this with a multi grain baguette and all the boys loved it.  Next time I think I will use celery salt instead of the celery just for texture.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment